The Savile family has lived in Yorkshire since the middle ages. A branch of the family, later to become Earls of Mexborough in 1766, came to live at Methley, near Wakefield in the 15th century and this estate remains a core part of the portfolio to this day.
Methley Hall was constructed in 1588 by the family and subsequently remodeled several times. It was requisitioned by the army during both the first and second world wars, during which time it also became subject to significant mining subsidence and extensive dry rot.
The Hall was demolished in the late 1950s and the family moved to Arden Hall in the North York Moors near Hawnby and Helmsley, which had been purchased in 1897 by the 6th Earl of Mexborough.